I was once accused by a boss that I celebrate other’s actions too much and that no one deserves to “have a parade for every damn thing they do.” First of all, if you know me at all, you know that I value parades in general the same way that homeless people value Occupy camps – they are the perfect alibi for my socially taboo lifestyle to seem totally normal. Secondly, not gleefully celebrating the mundane is just another example of adult-onset bullshit. Remember how good you would feel when that picture you drew of stick people sitting under a rainbow at age six earned huge praise and was framed on the fridge? When did we start getting all judgey and critical about doing things that make people feel good? I happen to think making a BFD (big – effing – deal) about the littlest things keeps me sane, grounded in the moment, and excited about life…and don’t worry about celebrating subtly, let it shine through that face, yo!
See how good that feels? I challenge you to celebrate the little things for just one day and see how much more fun life is for you and for those around you.
Today’s BFD – the doc said I have “exemplary” blood & urine!! Hey, this is a girl who used to be pre-diabetic, pushing the morbid level of obesity, and had a cholesterol level that was indicating a painful and early death. Thanks to choosing to change my life with a plant-based diet and exercise, I am now officially the healthiest I have ever been! Soooo, what better way to share that BFD with the world then finally unveiling my (up until now) secret and amazing best-you-have-every-had-and-will-make-you-beam-with-joyfulness vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe? If the cookies and faces don’t get you inspired, take it from The Monster himself:) Share that joy my friends!
BFD VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
- 2 1/4 cup unsifted flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Earth Balance, softened
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Ener-G egg substitute, equivalent to 2 eggs
- 2 cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Mix Ener-G (or other substitute) and set aside.
- Stir (do not sift) flour, baking soda, and salt then set aside.
- Beat butter with sugar and brown sugar on high until creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg mixture to sugar/butter and mix on low until combined.
- Gradually add dry mixture to wet until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts (if desired).
- Drop by tablespoon onto cookie sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes (17-19 minutes if using Pampered Chef stone) or until golden brown.
- Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Nutrition (w/o nuts):
Calories: 127 Fat: 7 Cholesterol: 0 Sodium: 86 Carbs: 17 Fiber: 1 Sugar: 12 Protein: 1 WW points: 3